We are sort of obsessed. Okay, completely obsessed with the TV series The Vampire Diaries. Neck nibbling, a beautiful cast and sexual tension you can cut with a knife. What’s not to love?
It was while viewing TVD when we discovered our latest man crush, Stephen Amell, who played werewolf Brady. Coincidentally, he’s been cast for Season 3 of Hung coming this Fall on HBO, another of our favorite shows. Are you sensing a steamy theme in our TV preferences?
Stephen is a Canadian actor with talent and a smile that makes us weak in the knees, plus he uses words such as “phalanx” on a regular basis – so naturally we had to learn more.
UPDATE: Now you can watch him every Wednesday night on the new CW show, Arrow.
1. What would your ultimate role be?
If you had asked that question a year ago, I probably would have described Brady from Vampire Diaries. There’s always been a fascination with villains for me. Now – and I realize this sounds a tad corny – the priority is being involved with quality projects.
2. Do you believe in the supernatural?
Not even a little bit.
3. What is your favourite movie?
Die Hard. Longevity is a heavy part of the equation for me. Die Hard is over 20 years old and you could release it today. I just saw the last 20 minutes of Air Force One and I’m pretty sure I could generate better visual effects on my iPhone.
4. Where do you draw inspiration?
From my friends. There are so many of us in Hollywood at various points of the same career; it’s like we’re in it together. That’s inspiring.
5. Most amazing aspect about what you do?
Two things: Watching really, really talented people work and the catering.
6. Sweet or savoury?
When I was training for a marathon, I’d go to the movies after my long Sunday runs and get a large popcorn with salt and vinegar seasoning (that’s a Canadian thing, I think) and then dump a big bag of M&M’s in there. (That’s a breathy way of saying both.)
7. Can you dance or do you avoid the d-floor?
I have no interest in dancing. That being said, I’d like to think I’m exercising my option not to dance as opposed to “avoiding” the dance floor. Cowards “avoid” the dance floor. A man says he’s not dancing and doesn’t feel bad about it. (Unless the DJ plays Footloose and I’m inebriated.)
8. Favourite bar stool?
Barney’s Beanery in West Hollywood has an exceptional bar stool.
9. Was there any one decision in your life that led you to where you are today?
10. If you got one word tattooed on your body, what would it be?
There was a moment in late 2009 when I almost got a tattoo and then backed out. I’ve got a cool scar on my head. That’s probably enough.
11. Craziest thing you have ever done?
I drove solo from Hollywood to Toronto in 2001 in 48 hours. Possibly crazy. Definitely reckless.
12. How do you stay in shape?
By avoiding the gym at all costs. Seriously.
13. Advice to aspiring actors?
If you do it with conviction, you’re doing it right.
14. Who in the industry has had the most impact on you?
Nobody sticks out. (Which is not say that people don’t help me all the time. It’s a collaboration, I suppose.)
15. How do you relax?
I’m most relaxed when I’m working, which is – arguably – the best thing about acting.
16. What do you want to learn?
I have absolutely no idea how to answer this question.
17. Can you tell us something random no one knows about you?
I like to chew on the plastic ring that separates from the lid of a water bottle after you open it. People seem to find this disgusting for reasons I don’t understand.
18. One place in the world you would love to go?
The island from Lost. Of course.
19. What is your dating advice to singles out there?
You should immediately air all your so-called dirty laundry. Flagrant honesty will either drive somebody away or immediately connect you with them.
20. Biggest guilty pleasure?
I don’t feel guilty about anything. (By the way… If you can’t accept that statement – and I swear it’s true – you’re probably very unhappy.)
21. Exciting projects coming up?
Just wrapped the third season of Hung on HBO. Technically, that’s upcoming.
Our Lessons from Stephen:
1. Don’t feel guilty about what you take pleasure in. If you want to mix popcorn with M&M’s no one will judge.
2. Never take your friends for granted. Surround yourself with friends who inspire you.
3. You don’t have to go to the gym to get a great body.
4. Canadians may be taking over Hollywood.