Susan Tabak’s name is synonymous with fashion, glamour, luxury and Paris. Since publishing the shopping bible, Chic in Paris, this high-end personal shopper has taken the fashion world by storm. Susan was named the number one Twitterer in fashion in 2009 by The Times in London, setting the standard for tweeting from the front row. Her website is an essential resource for anyone who loves fashion, and her Daily Shoe feature has us salivating each and every day. Susan now owns a global media company, connecting consumers with luxury brands, and last month she launched her new entrancing fragrance, Sortir le Soir.
A woman who loves champagne, shoes, travel and parties as much as we do is a woman after our own hearts. We’re sure you’ll be as inspired by her as we are.
1. What was the defining moment in your life that brought you to where you are today?
My book CHIC IN PARIS.
2. What are the elements you love the most about your career or life?
I wake up every day excited about my work.
3. What is the most challenging aspect of your career?
There are constant challenges in my work – if it were all easy it wouldn’t be fun.
4. If you could shadow anybody for a day, who would it be and why?
Can’t think of any one I would want to shadow – I am happy being me.
5. Favourite bar stool in Paris? New York?
Paris – Le Mathis; NY – Employees Only.
6. Where was the best party you have ever attended and what made it the absolute best?
The most memorable soiree I have ever attended was a private dinner at Valentino’s home outside of Paris. Dinner guests included Anna Wintour, The Duchess of York, Graydon Carter, Betty Catroux, Georgina Branolini, Hamish Bowles – just to name a few. Valentino himself is the most elegant host – a gentleman – and made each and every guest feel at home. Besides the decor and the table settings that were beyond, I felt like I was in another era.
7. What song is guaranteed to get you dancing?
Lady Gaga’s Born this Way
8. If you could leave in a plane, train, automobile or boat today for anywhere in the world, where would you be going?
9. You are stranded on an island, what food item could you not live without?
10. Is there a book or a movie you have read/watched over and over again?
I don’t have time to see movies over and over again but Sono Amore (I Am Love) is about the best I have ever seen – it encompasses fashion, passion and beauty.
11. Has there been a recent new designer’s collection that has left you with goosebumps or speechless after viewing?
The last John Galliano defile in Paris last year.
12. What is your most memorable “Daily Shoe”?
Shoes by Darmaki.
13. What is your top must have item for Fall?
I don’t believe in must haves.
14. Describe your favourite outfit and why it makes you feel amazing?
I don’t have a favorite outfit. I always want to feel amazing in whatever I wear.
15. Can you provide any fashion advice to men, globally?
Listen to the woman in your life.
16. How did you decide on the right fragrance for Sortir le Soir?
I love floral scents – particularly gardenia – it was a personal decision as I think perfume is very personal.
17. What can we look forward to seeing and learning from Susan Tabak in the future?
I have so many projects and ideas – I could spend two days answering this question.
18. Do you have any advice for new entrepreneurs?
Be persistent, passionate and don’t give up.
19. What is your definition of beauty?
Beauty comes from within.
20. What is the number one quality you admire in other people?
Our Lessons from Susan Tabak:
1. If you set your sights on something, don’t let anything get in your way. Your passion and ambition will drive you to success.
2. Trends are for the masses. Be your own person and stand out from the crowd.
3. Individuality, passion and inner beauty are qualities we admire and hope to promote.
~ SA & WT
Read more Interviews from a Bar Stool.